Bed bugs are small, reddish brown insects that live on animal or human blood. They are usually as small as an apple seed. But after feeding, they swell and become a reddish color.
But it’s quite complex to get rid of them and prevent bed bug bites. And sometimes getting rid of them completely could take months as it depends on the extent of bed bug infestation. Let’s take a look at how bed bug infestations affect your house and how you can treat them.
Bed bug infestation, how to prevent termites, or are there rats in Arizona can be preventable with the help of a professional pest control phoenix company like ours. However, you can find our tips helpful to prevent bed bugs from becoming worse.
Where Bed Bugs Hide
The hiding places of bed bugs are in your clothes, upholstered furniture, loose wallpaper, luggage, couches, used beds, and other items. That’s why they remain undetected. Even adult bed bugs, with their flattened body helps them to hide even in tiny places about the about the size or thickness of a credit card.
As they solely live on blood, you will always find bed bugs in mattresses, bed frames, box springs, and headboards where they will have easy access to bite in the night.
When Bedbugs Bite
Bedbugs are most active at night. So they bite humans when they are sleeping. They feed on people for at least 3 to 10 minutes and then crawl away unnoticed because these bed bugs inject an anesthetic to keep their victims from feeling the bits. Though it is not known if bed bugs spread disease, a bug’s bite can cause severe itching and itchy red bumps that are annoying.
Their bites are painful and easily turn into itchy welts later. They mostly bite the area of the skin exposed while sleeping. People usually identify them with flea bites. But their bite marks don’t have a red spot in the center like the flea bites.
Signs of Infestation
Bed bugs bite anywhere around the exposed skin. Such as:
Unless you are hypersensitive to bites, or have allergic reaction to bites, you will not develop more severe symptoms. Bed bug bite reactions are usually mild and rarely life threatening. Usually, you will have dots where the bug bites and will cause you some degree of inflammation and irritation around the bed bug bite.
Let’s take a look at the signs of bed bug bites:
- A raised itchy bump surrounding the bite
- A burning, itchy, painful sensation
- Small red bumps or welts in a line or in a zigzag
- Red bumps surrounding by blisters
Some serious symptoms of bed bug bites requiring medical attention include:
- Breathing difficulty
- Swollen tongue
- Irregular heartbeat
- Feeling nauseous
Other signs that show the signs of bed bugs infestation:
- Bloodstains and bed bugs found on your pillow or sheets
- Dark spots of bed bug excrement on mattresses or sheets or pillowcases or walls.
- You will notice a musty odor which emits from the bugs’ scent glands
- Eggshells or shed skins where bug hides
If you suspect a bed bugs infestation, then remove all bedding, covers and check for signs of bugs or their excrement. Also, check under the bed, inside books, and the edge of the carpet.
You may treat bed bug bites by applying antiseptic lotions or creams on the bute marks. You may apply anti-itching creams to prevent itching.
Bed Bugs Treatments
Getting rid of bedbugs is not easy. But with these easy steps, you can clean up the place where bed bugs have infested. They are:
- Clean your bedding, curtains, clothes, and linens in hot water. Dry them on the highest dryer settings for 30 minutes.
- To remove bedbugs and bed bug eggs from the mattresses, use a stiff brush to scrub the mattresses before vacuuming.
- After cleaning, immediately place the vacuum cleaner bag outside in the garbage can.
- Repair the cracks in the walls with plasters and glue to make sure the bedbugs cannot hide in the cracks anymore.
- Declutter around the house and keep your house clean and fresh.
You will also need chemical treatments to get rid of bed bugs infestation. Use insecticides to treat mattresses and bedding for an effective bed bug extermination.
For the residents of Mesa, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Queen Creek, Queen Valley, San Tan Valley, AZ, we at Arizona Termite and Pest Solutions, are always ready. We offer fast and affordable service all over Arizona. For more inquiries call us at 480.359.9600 or visit our website at Arizona Termite and Pest Solutions and get a free estimate today!